Monday, July 13, 2015

June 2015

My friends and I that use Stitch Fix often compare items we've received, so I thought I'd start blogging it for them. It's easier than just texting our not so stellar iPhone pics (my apologies) to each other or Facetiming each other while we try everything on to get each other's opinions.
If you haven't heard of Stitch Fix, I'll fill you in. You create a personalized style profile, schedule a “fix” for a $20.00 styling fee, then wait for your package to arrive at your doorstep that a stylist has put together based on your profile and or Pinterest board. They're like Santa's little helpers. You try everything on in the comfort of your own home, rather than dragging 3 or 4 kids into a dressing room with you. You keep what you like, what you don’t you send back in a prepaid envelope within 3 days. Your $20 styling fee goes towards your purchase and if you keep all the items in your fix you get a 25% discount, which often basically comes out to getting one item for free. You also get a referral link you can pass along so others can give it a try too!  If they schedule a fix you get a $25.00 credit. 
Mine is www.stichfix.com/referral/4732601
Once you sign up I advise you to set up a Pinterest board and add it's link to your style profile. I did this and had my friends do the same. Some even added me as a contributor to their boards. I find Stitch Fix items I like and pin them, stating what I like about each item. I'm sure to put in my profile if I'm crossing my fingers for a specific item like a comfortable pair of boyfriend jeans. I don't need accessories at this moment so I also request to not receive those. So far I've been pleased with my experiences. I feel like the stylists have listened to my wants, needs, likes and dislikes. 

Lately I've been able to keep Emilie as my stylist. She checks out my Pinterest board and tries to find pieces she thinks I'll like. She is usually so good at picking my items that I often already have similar versions in my closet. 

Here's what she sent me in June.

 This is the Papermoon Loraine lace trim knit tank in blue.
I love blue. I love lace. So when I pulled this out I was sure I'd keep it. But then my husband asked if I didn't already have a few shirts with lace at the bottom. So I looked at my closet and sure enough, front and center, there were like 4 tops with lace trim at the bottom staring back at me. See what I mean? Emilie gets me. If I only had one top like this I would have kept it. But since I similar tops in various colors I decided to send it back. But for those interested, it is super soft and a great length. 

And the lace trim is beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

Next up was a fun top!
This is the Le Lis Jarah crochet back knit top.
This too was super duper soft. And how fun is the back?! 
The front is totally casual, here's a close up of the black and gray skinny stripes...
 
I felt like this was something that you could dress up with a black skirt and heels with this crochet back, or just throw on with jeans since it felt like a soft jersey material. I'm sure someone else could rock this but from the front it didn't work for me. I looked like a bean bag chair.

Then we hit a snag.
Allow me to introduce to you the Gilli Adah maxi dress.
You can tell by the look on my face that I was less than thrilled with this one. There wasn't anything wrong with the dress itself, it just did NOTHING for me. No, that's not strong enough. This dress made me feel awful about myself. I put on a bright necklace. Nope. That didn't help. Threw on a cardigan. That made it worse. This was just awful on me on every level. Perhaps on someone younger and cuter this would work, but on me I felt like it screamed "Yep! I had 3 babies in 5 years. Can't you tell?"
Back in the box it went, asap.
 

While I was already feeling bad about myself I decided to get this skirt out of the way. I already have a few patterned maxis that I hardly wear because I feel like they only work with a chambray top or a tank/cardi combo. And I live in the south. It's only cool enough for all that a few days a year.
This is the Market & Spruce Char ikat print maxi skirt.

I like the print and vibrant colors. I just knew I'd never get around to wearing it.

And finally, this top I pulled out and figured it wasn't worth even trying on. I'd seen it on Pinterest on several ladies older than myself so I wasn't feeling it and had not pinned it. But my hubby liked it so I threw it on.
 The THML Mary-Kate geo print embroidery detail tank
I put it on with some jeans first and still wasn't feeling it, even though the embroidery is cool.
So then I tried it with some white shorts and liked how vibrant the cobalt blue is, and thought maybe I need some more age appropriate 'mom' clothes in my life instead of my usual hippie/casual/comfortable stay at home mom garb. 
Plus, with the embellishments on top I don't really need a necklace or scarf. Since I'm always carrying a baby, less accessories hanging off of me is always a plus. So of all things I kept this top, which I thought right off the bat was a no go and had not pinned on my own board. I did pin it on the boards of a few friends that I thought wouldn't have a problem pulling it off. But this one is now in my closet and has been to the circus and managed to survive vacation bible school without so much as a kool-aid stain. 





No comments:

Post a Comment